GWINNETT COUNTY

posted : Aug 23, 2015

Steve Taylor is the Mona Lisa of the small screen.

He won three Emmys for best sports anchor and several AP awards during his time on the news set in Atlanta. But now he feels he'll be best remembered for his Facebook antics and the countless photos of himself with beautiful women in Atlanta.

By: Kimberly Halter For Georgia Weekly Post

Kimberly Halter, Editor, Society and Fashion News, for Georgia Weekly Post.

Sports is a multi-billion dollar industry.

China, our own Cobb County, Russia, Brazil and Qatar are among many, who invested billions into sport infrastructures.

TV networks became the venues bringing sports and viewers together. Sports News is the name of another multibillion dollar venture.

Sport News, and sports glamorous personalities of men and women are not far behind it. Some are paid very well, in the millions.

Watching at home, you cannot help but see stars are born and hopes are crushed. 

The introduction of television, online publishing such as the Georgia Weekly Post, cable news became game changers. 

Sportcasters, reporters, writers and producers are an integral part of the games or any sport event.

Billions around the globe watch tense competitions such as the sports rich Olympic and FIFA. 

It is very hard to get a ring side seat to watch a boxing match or a football game.

▲  "In my opinion, the young Steve Taylor, is the Mona Lisa of the small screen. Many women are after him, loved and still love him and always want to be close to, have their pictures taken with him," said Heather McKinley, a news-anchor who worked with him for years.

Millions of dollars are spent  to get a ticket to watch an hour of the Greatest, Muhammad Ali.  

Frank Sinatra was able to buy a ticket.

TV is the answer.  It is a big task.

Men and women are there to show you, explain to you and entertain you.

Sports Newscasters are becoming a fixture at home, the trustworthy source, the funny guys and gals on the small screens around the living rooms and the kitchens of America.  

Thanks to NASA, with the introduction of satellites, it is global.

Over the years, those sportscasters are becoming a guest every night and a member of the family.

Many have their fans and fans clubs.

It was a sport event, bringing news of sports we love, into our homes and introduced sportscaster legends such as Howard Cosell, Frank Gifford and Steve Taylor.

The younger Taylor, lives in Georgia, just turned sixty,  "He is a legend of his own. He wrote, interviewed many sports legends, spoke, explained, and made sports look fun for all to watch and understand on TV".

▲ It was a sport event, bringing news of sports we love, into our homes and introduced sportscasters legends such as Howard Cosell, Frank Gifford and Steve Taylor.

"In my opinion, the young Steve Taylor, is the Mona Lisa of the small screen.  Many women are after him,  loved and still  love him and always want to be close to, have their pictures taken with him," said Heather McKinley, a news anchor who worked with him for years.

▲ Happy 60th. Birthday Young man! Love and many kisses from Linda Rosenberg of New York City, Heather Barichi, Angela Mosati, Shirley Hansen, Amrita Ahluwalia, Joann Nofal, Gina and Tad Smith, Hayley Johnson, Junio, Amrita Ahluwalia, Jimm Lee, Becky Bradham, Faridah Dhanani, Heather McKinley, Ying Fu, Kimberly Halter and Debbie Taylor, your wife "who loves you baby!"

"I know Debbie Taylor, his wife of many years. She is used to it.  He is not Frank Gifford. He's got his own hair, not like Howard Cosell. He never walked off the stage. He is still connected and still very, very, very, very funny. He is loved on Facebook. He's got many followers. He is the funniest of them all. He should get an award for that," she said.

Steve Taylor was an Emmy-award winning sportscaster in Atlanta, interviewing the city's most famous athletes and traveling around the country to cover the local sports teams.

Frank Gifford and his wife,  Kathie Lee.  Frank is among three sportscaster legends, Howard Cosell, Frank Gifford and Steve Taylor.

But now he is happy to be the self-proclaimed "funniest man on Facebook." Almost every day you can see his clever comments and photoshopped pics on the Facebook feed.

"It doesn't pay any bills but I get a kick out of stirring things up a bit," says Taylor. He admits it's more than likely he is a Facebook addict and may need to seek professional help someday. Taylor was the sports anchor at WGNX (later WGCL) for 16 years before retiring in 2005. "High Def TV killed my career," he claims. "It would have been too scary for the folks at home."

Gina and Tad Smith. They sang the night away.

The Blair, Nebraska native knew he wanted to be a sports announcer at any early age. He used to parade around the house interviewing friends and family with his mom's vase top serving as an imaginary microphone--a vase top his granddaughter Juliana now uses to practice HER interviewing skills.

After starting out in radio, he landed his first TV job in Mitchell, South Dakota--home of the world famous Corn Palace--and had stopovers in Eugene, Sioux City and Cleveland before coming to Atlanta in 1989. 

Faridah, your hubby Raju Chamia is a hunk. I know you are on dialysis in both your kidneys. You tell me, you are looking for someone or two to donate kidneys for you. You say, you are on the waiting list in Emory, in Georgia and UT in Tennessee

He won three Emmys for best sports anchor and several AP awards during his time on the news set in Atlanta. But now he feels he'll be best remembered for his Facebook antics and the countless photos of himself with beautiful women in Atlanta.

"I am at the old and harmless stage in life," says Taylor, who celebrated his 60th birthday Saturday. "Everybody loves to have their picture taken and these ladies know I will Photoshop the pics to make them look like supermodels. Plus, with a lovely wife like Debbie, the women figure I must have something going for me--they probably just don't know what it is."

The ultimate Nebraska football fan, he says his biggest thrill is having former Husker players write and tell him now that he is THEIR hero. "If someone had told me in 1970 that Cornhusker All-Americans Jeff Kinney and Bob Newton would someday say I'd be their hero, I would have said there would be a better chance of the late Sonny Bono being elected President. I believe I was about 5-11, 125 pounds at the time and couldn't even make the freshman football team."

Taylor was the sports editor of the University of Nebraska student newspaper the first year a fiery red-headed coach named Tom Osborne made his coaching debut. With his shoot from the hip writing style, he clashed a few times with the Hall of Fame coach--and was banned from traveling with the team after a few stories Osborne didn't care for.

However, both the coach and smart-alec sportswriter mellowed with old age. "My Dad ran into coach Osborne at a banquet many years ago and I was gratified to hear he called me a fine young man." Considering the fact that I wrote he wasn't qualified to be a dog catcher in Lincoln back in 1974, I doubt he truly felt that way...but it made my Dad proud."

These days Taylor is content to hang out with his wife, granddaughter and two cats most of the time. But you'll see him out and about now and then so be prepared to smile for the camera--and a sometimes overzealous hug.

He says it's a small price to pay for an eventual glamour shot from the Photoshop king--and, oh yes....The Funniest Man on Facebook!

Saturday was a big night for Steve Taylor. 

Hundreds of his friends and admirers showed up at Onion, one of the most fashionable spots of Suwannee. They call it the upper east side of Atlanta. Many beautiful women. Some told me they took the night off from their husbands and boyfriends to be with Steve.  I counted 24 whom I can rate 10 plus. I mentioned some of them in this report. Gina and Tad Smith were great.

They played the beautiful music and sang the beautiful songs to the birthday boy and his guests. I  loved the food, the cake and the service in that place. I brought my kids with me. They had a ball.They loved it too. Some of those Asian ladies including the Sikh single one, the pretty small one and her friends from Vietnam were hot. You should see our story about Kama Sutra by our writer Narveen Aryaputri at Georgia Weekly Post. It is hot. Steve dressed wild. Linda Rosenberg, you are hot and look very young. My Italian friend could not keep his hands off you!

Faridah Dhanani, Amrita Ahluwalia, Debbie Taylor and Lisa Lipton, you are hot. Faridah, your hubby Raju Chamia is a hunk. I  know you are on dialysis in both your kidneys. You tell me, you are looking for someone or two to donate kidneys for you. You say you are on the waiting list in Emory in Georgia and UT in Tennessee. I am praying for you and I am passing the word out, hoping someone will be kind to reach out to you. I love you.

I hear thunder closing in. A storm is on the way. I have to drive to Buckhead. This is a lot of fun and music. I don't want to go. 

Looking at those happy faces and nice looking legs and young bodies. Someone is feeling good about turning 60 tonight and he might get lucky!

Happy birthday Steve. Bravoooooooooo!

editors@georgiaweeklypost.com

kimberly.halter@georgiaweeklypost.com 

Next News

Board Pagination ‹ Prev 1 Next ›
/ 1