ELECTION

posted : Feb 06, 2017

Following a scandal by a council member, Shelley Sears - described by many as a Pro-business candidate - runs for a Councilwoman's open seat on Roswell City Council. She is expected to face a run-off after a crowded first round.

In meeting with voters, Sears discussed focus on working towards "the best conditions in schools, parks, roads and living, so people continue to desire to live in Roswell, more than they already do." she said.

By The News Writers of Georgia Weekly Post. 

Roswell city council will proceed with five council members until the election to fill the vacant Post 4 seat previously held by Kent Igleheart. There will be an election.

The City of Roswell operates as a Mayor / Council form of government with a City Administrator.

The Mayor and six Council members are part-time employees.

A full-time City Administrator serves at the pleasure of Mayor and Council and is responsible for carrying out their policy directives and managing the day-to-day operations of the City. 

Former Councilman Igleheart was arrested last October. and is charged with enticing a child, sexual exploitation of children, furnishing alcohol to a person under 21.

Igleheart submitted his resignation from city council shortly after being bonded out of DeKalb County Jail.

Fulton County will conduct the special election, which is set for March 21, 2017. The winner of the election will serve the remainder of the unexpired term, which ends December 2017.

Shelley Sears, described  by many as a Pro-business candidate for a Councilwoman's seat on Roswell City Council. She is expected to face a run-off after a crowded first round.

Her name is Shelley Sears. She  is running for Roswell City Council as the pro-business candidate, to fill the vacant Post 4 seat previously held by Kent Igleheart  Ms. Sears lived and owned property in the Roswell  since 1984.  "I understand the challenges we all facing with the growth in Roswell, mine and you’re home.  I have run my own real estate business since 1999 and have provided jobs for over 100 people in our community.  I hope to earn your vote over the next 6 weeks when we all vote on March 21." she told Georgia Weekly Post.  

"Shelley Sears is aiming for her experience as a long-time Roswell  city resident and in the real estate industry to "use good business judgment" and give back to her community."  said a long time freind.

"All of my children have grown up in Roswell, gone through public school system, graduated from Roswell High School," Sears said.

"She is aiming to be the "peacemaker," the person that is there to unite and make a stronger Roswell." said a state Senator.

In meeting with voters, Sears discussed focus on working towards "the best conditions in schools, parks, roads and living, so people continue to desire to live in Roswell, more than they already do." she said. 

"I am reminding myself what will it cost us taxpayers and not waste other peoples money." she told Georgia Weekly Post.

Shelley Sears is among five known qualifying candidates.

Shawn Wright is an Air Force Veteran.

Wright currently serves as a Regional Director for Elam Ministries, a Christian non-profit organization serving the underground church in Iran.

Wright's platform encompasses four areas: unification of the city, enhancing the war memorials and protecting green space, developing the city tax base through development and transportation solutions.

Lori Henry is a local business owner and has previously served on Roswell City Council.

"a leader who defies categories. unwavering focus is on the community’s needs, not a political agenda that benefits special interests, or herself," she said on her website.

Tracy Hanley is also a business owner, having previously worked with Roswell Inc, to bring new business to the city.

"I am running because the City of Roswell deserves a councilwoman that stands up for everyone, no matter what part of the city you reside in, what your age is, and what you do for a living," as stated on Hanley's campaign website.

Hanley's platform encompasses transportation, development, council consensus and public safety.

Marie Willsey has lived in Roswell since 1993 and is active in many facets of the community.

“It’s time to find solutions and move forward on actions that will protect our neighborhoods, preserve our character, quality of life, and history, and direct redevelopment to the right places,” she said.

Willsey has served president of the Horseshoe Bend Community Association. 

She has also served as a City of Roswell Planning Commissioner since 2015.

www.facebook.com/georgiaweeklypost 

Next News

Board Pagination ‹ Prev 1 Next ›
/ 1