ELECTION

posted : Nov 04, 2015

One Asian American Candidate Wins Election, and Two Candidates Head to a Run-Off

By: The Staff Reporters of Georgia Weekly Post

Asian Americans are gaining more seats at the table. MD Naser who won his City Council election in Doraville Georgia last night with 50.8% of the votes. 

▲ In Johns Creek, Asian American first-time candidate - Jay Lin (City Council Post 2) will enter into a run-off race on December 1st.

In hotly contested City Council crowded races in Johns Creek, a city with the largest Asian American population in the state of Georgia, Asian American first-time candidates Jay Lin (City Council Post 2) and Nazeera Dawood (City Council Post 5) will each enter into a run-off race on December 1st.  

▲ In Johns Creek, a city with the largest Asian American population in the state of Georgia, Asian American first-time candidate Dr. Nazeera Dawood (City Council Post 5) will enter into a run-off race on December 1st.

"Six Asian Americans running in Georgia in one year is historic and proof that our community members are interested and capable of occupying civic leadership positions at all levels of government," said Helen Kim Ho, the outgoing Executive Director of Asian Americans Advancing Justice - Atlanta. 

Six Asian Americans ran this year for elected offices. They include Nazeera Dawood, Birendra Dhakal, Eve Erdogan, Jay Lin, Arun Misra, and MD Naser.

MD Naser, a Bangladeshi-Muslim-American, is the first Asian American to serve as a Doraville City Councilman.   "I focused my time going door-to-door with a special focus on engaging Bangladeshis and other Asians in our city -- I won by a slim 12 vote margin and know at least 50 Bangladeshis voted yesterday for me.  The Asian American vote mattered in my race, and I hope to serve as a voice and advocate for them and others in the great city of Doraville." said Naser.

Chinese-American Eve Erdogan ran for a seat on Brookhaven City Council.  Ms. Erdogan lost her bid for Brookhaven City Council District 1 to the incumbent.

▲ "The fact that Asian American candidates fared so well shows that voters are willing to embrace new and diverse leadership which we believe results in stronger and most just policies at the federal, state and local levels," said Helen Ho. It is estimated there are over 13,188 Asian Americans living around the Atlanta communities.

"We congratulate the hard work and sacrifice these and other candidates made to run for office, especially our minority and first-time candidates.  The fact that Asian American candidates fared so well shows that voters are willing to embrace new and diverse leadership which we believe results in stronger and most just policies at the federal, state and local levels," said Helen Ho.

news.desk@georgiaweeklypost.com 

Next News

Board Pagination ‹ Prev 1 Next ›
/ 1