DUNWOODY

posted : Nov 03, 2015

THE GENERAL BEATS INCUMBENT MIKE DAVIS IN A LANDSLIDE.

When all votes were counted, Former Councilman Denis Shortal won the mayoral election with 62.68 percent of 5487 total votes, beating incumbent Mike Davis who gained 33.75 percent of the votes.

By: The Staff Reporters of Georgia Weekly Post

▲   Atten-Huttt ! Now Hear This, There is a New General in Dunwoody!

"Mike Davis does not listen. He does not get it," said Wade Wright, a resident of the City of Dunwoody since 1978,  speaking to Georgia Weekly Post after casting his vote for Denis Shortal

On a rainy Tuesday, 300 more voters in that part of Dunwoody, joined Wright by voting Mike Davis out of office. Mayor Mike Davis got only 127 votes.

When all votes were counted, Former Councilman  Denis Shortal won the mayoral election with 62.68 percent of 5487 total votes, beating incumbent Mike Davis who gained 33.75 percent of the votes.

▲"His dedicated supporters, Shortal style of leadership, work by his campaign staff, and volunteers is something to admire. It contributed to his big win tonight," said a political strategist known to work for a newly elected US Senator. Photo by Tony Delmichi

In a four way race for Mayor, Mike Davis suffered a stunning defeat by Denis Shortal forcing him into an early retirement. Election observers complimented Shortal's well organized campaign. "His dedicated supporters,  Denis Shortal style of leadership, work by his campaign staff, and volunteers is something to admire. It contributed to his big win tonight,"  said a political strategist known to work for a newly elected US Senator.

Out Going Mayor Mike Davis of Dunwoody. Many of the voters expressed their dissatisfaction of the current administration and the Mayor of the City of Dunwoody. Paving and more side walks, schools, re-sitting priorities, ethics, more women participation in government, change the Mayor, have more police on the street, freezing taxes and less regulations were among those issues on the minds of many voters as they went to cast their votes. Photo By: David Deng of Georgia Weekly Post.

By late afternoon, data and interviews collected and made by reporters of Georgia Weekly Post, covering the entire city of Dunwoody, showed trends toward a landslide by Candidate Denis Shortal and a comfortable win by Terry Nall. His opponent, Becky Springer and two of her supporters were still out on the roads seeking votes. Considering the rain and traffic and short on funds, it became too little, too late.

▲ Four more years. a comfortable win by Terry Nall.

Final results shows the new comer Becky Springer, coming behind Mayor Mike Davis by 232 votes.  

Georgia weekly Post  spoke to Ms. Springer  - a mother of three and a former model -  to get her reaction. "The voters spoke. Terry Nall will serve four more years. I wish him good luck. Yes, I was new at that with far less money and connections. Perhaps I needed to reach out to more voters. I knew, not too many people knew my name. Nall had four years of it. That was my first public debate.  I love Dunwoody. I still want to help my city. I am happy for Mayor-elect Denis Shortal. I will work with him. I have plans. I am taking few days off with my family and I will see you all again next week," she told Georgia Weekly Post.

In addition, Georgia Weekly Post noticed a write-in by several local known names including  Mayor Mike Davis's former campaign Manager, listing himself in four spots - perhaps as a sign of protest-  on the ballot.

By the end of the night, Terry Nall was gaining a comfortable two to one lead.  

Chris Grivakis, candidate for Mayor. While making a better presentation during the Debate, he did not launch a forceful campaign. He spent less than $2,000, according to friends.

Shortal maintained a much bigger edge of three to one over Davis.  In All Saints, Shortal won 448 votes while Davis got only 162. In St. Luke, Denis Shortal won 297 votes vs. 103 for Mayor Mike Davis. As it got darker and rain started to fall, Davis faced embarrassing results in his attempt to stay in office for a second term. 

Steve Chipka. One among four running for the office of Mayor in a four way race. Denis Shortal won the race in a landslide. His entrance into the race caused concerns among the other three candidates. A run-off was predicted. He won very few votes. Georgia Weekly Post was unable to reach him for comments. He did not return this reporter's calls.

North Atalanta Church, where a much higher turnout was expected, became too close to call.  Voters are still coming in until seven and many missed the closing doors. Georgia  Weekly Post encountered 23 of them in the parking lot. Poor weather and traffic prevented them from making it to vote on time. The final count was 451 for Shortal and 427. 

Becky Springer joined by two of her supporters, were still out on the roads, in the rain and fighting rush hours traffic,  seeking votes. It became too little, too late. By the end of the night, Terry Nall was gaining a comfortable two to one lead.

Shortly after seven, most polling stations were vacated and posted their results with the exception of North Atlanta Church.  As the votes were totaled, it became obvious, Denis Shortal is the Third Mayor of the City of Dunwoody.

Many of the voters expressed their dissatisfaction of the current administration and the Mayor of the City of Dunwoody. Paving and more sidewalks, schools, re-setting priorities, ethics, more women participation in government, change the Mayor, have more police on the street, freezing taxes and less regulations were among those issues on the minds of many voters as they went to cast their votes. 

▲ During the afternoon, Mayor Mike Davis was tense. He refused to interact with the media and his verbiage was not pleasant. He addressed a reporter as a moron and dared him to publish such remark. Georgia Weekly Post is accommodating the Honorable Mike Davis by publishing his description of the reporter.

Linda Shulin is one among many voters who spoke to Georgia Weekly Post after casting their votes for Shortal. She expressed her confidence in Shortal's talent of reaching out and taking the time. "He follows up on his promises. He treats people with respect and return my calls," she said.

Becky Springer, challenging Terry Nall , was seen making her own rounds in the City of Dunwoody. The newcomer to the political scene was unable to unseat Nall. Terry Nall , building on his experiences and connections, was able to run a forceful campaign and defeat Springer. 

During the afternoon, Georgia Weekly Post encountered Mayor Mike Davis waiving an over-sized sign to cars driving into North Atlanta Church. Making stops, he was accompanied by his two daughters and his wife. Mike Davis was tense. He refused to interact with the media and his verbiage was not pleasant. He addressed a reporter as a moron and dared him to publish such remark. Georgia Weekly post is accomodating the retiring Mayor and publishing his description of the reporter.

▲ Shortal's supporters were seen in force at every voting location. Enthusiasm and dedications to the General

During the evening, the newly elected mayor was seen meeting and greeting his supporters at a local restaurant in Dunwoody Village. He was joined by his wife, enjoying the moment with many of his friends. As expected, he received a phone call from his opponent conceding the race for Mayor.

▲"I voted for Denis Shortal," she said.

▲"We voted for Mayor Mike Davis," they said.

▲ A civic lesson in democracy to third graders by their teacher Miss. Jennifer Bongiovi. That was an unexpected encounter by Georgia Weekly Post and a first. Miss. Bongiovi is known to introduce her class to elections every year.

news.desk@georgiaweeklypost.com 

Next News

Board Pagination ‹ Prev 1 Next ›
/ 1