For those many visitors to Buckhead, many may wonder of the historic origin of it's name.
It started with a park and a story told by a storyteller and recorded in 1838. It had to do with a monument by sculptor Frank Fleming.
▲The Storyteller by sculptor Frank Fleming
At the present time, that monument was stolen or posibily taken by a collector. The community wants it back. A former Mayor wants it back. Like that farmer's house of Dunwoody, this is a part of the historic preservation of the very modern Buckhead.
Joining Buckhead’s historic preservation interests, the Buckhead Coalition is offering a reward for return of a monument missing from the triangle park (now named after Charlie Loudermilk) at Peachtree and Roswell roads.
Coalition president and former Atlanta's Mayor Sam Massell has received a report from a senior resident of Lenbrook about a plaque of sorts that reportedly had been located in this park at its Peachtree Road and Sardis Way corner.
" It is recorded in Susan Barnard’s “Buckhead” history book that the Masons met here, on the second floor of a two-story log-cabin, and that the monument now missing, heralded the Sardis Masonic Lodge," said Garth Peters of the Buckhead Coalition.
"This property was gifted to the community for a church by Sardis Donaldson, for which the abutting street is named. The church is now located on Powers Ferry Road, near Roswell Road," he added.
Charlie Loudermilk Park is now undergoing extensive remodeling, funded by a significant gift from Loudermilk who is known as one of the honorary Mayors of Buckhead.
In the triangle formed by Piedmont Road, Roswell Road, and Blackland Road is a triangular park known as Charlie Loudermilk Park (renamed from Triangle Park in 2009).
Located within the park is " The Storyteller " by sculptor Frank Fleming, depicting a man with a buck's head telling a story to various other animals.
" Local lore has recorded that in 1838 a hunter hung a deer's head at about this location in front of Irby's Tavern. The Henry Irby Family owned 803 surrounding acres and the area was designated Irbyville on maps at that time. People started identifying the area by the buck's head and the community then changed its name to Buckhead... The storyteller is sharing this information with its circle of small animal friends," according to the discriptive missing plaque.
Anyone knowing the whereabouts of the missing stone is asked to call Buckhead Coalition Executive Vice-President Garth Peters,
at the Coalition (404-233-2228).