BUCKHEAD

posted : Aug 17, 2015

The Bert RADIO Show, giving a magical, all-expenses-paid, five-day journey to Walt Disney World® for children with chronic and terminal illnesses and their families.

The biggest party at the Buckhead Theatre for the 2nd Annual Great Gatsby Gala on Saturday, September 12th. Moving the clock back to the Roaring 20’s on a spectacular night to benefit Bert’s Big Adventure.

By: Kimberly Halter, Editor, Society and Fashion News,

Georgia Weekly Post. Merry Waldrop,  Staff Photographer

In 2001, The Bert Radio Show aired for the very first time in Atlanta, GA, hosted by Bert Weiss. Six months after the show began, Bert and his wife, Stacey Weiss, began the process of founding Bert’s Big Adventure.

In 2003, the organization took seven children with chronic and terminal illnesses and their families on the journey of a lifetime to Walt Disney World for the inaugural trip.

Over the years, Bert’s Big Adventure was recognized, admired as a leading, well respected, nonprofit organization that provides a magical, all-expenses-paid, five-day journey to Walt Disney World® for children with chronic and terminal illnesses and their families

Since then, the organization has grown the trip to include more families each year.

To date, more than 140 families from six different states have taken that trip and have become a part of the Bert’s Big Adventure family. In addition to the trip, Bert’s Big Adventure now also provides year-round programs that further its mission of supporting these very special families.

▲ Bert’s Big Adventure, it’s the non-profit that Bert and his wife, Stacey, started, takes chronic and terminally ill children to Walt Disney World every year. In 2001, The Bert Radio Show aired for the very first time in Atlanta, GA, hosted by Bert Weiss. Six months after the show began, Bert and his wife, Stacey Weiss, began the process of founding Bert’s Big Adventure. In 2003, the organization took seven children with chronic and terminal illnesses and their families on the journey of a lifetime to Walt Disney World for the inaugural trip.

To qualify for Bert’s Big Adventure, children must be between the ages of 5 and 12, the must live in “The Bert Show” radio listening area, prove financial need and have never been to Walt Disney World®.

▲ Bert and his little friend, one among many friends, helped by "The Bert Show". Bravoooooooooo.

Following the annual trip, Bert’s Big Adventure provides year-round support through initiatives such as the Reunion Adventures, the Fairy Godparent volunteer program and additional charitable services. The trip and programs create a community of families that establish lasting friendships with others facing similar challenges.

Merry Waldrop, Staff  Photographer for Georgia Weekly Post,

Thom Brown-Kelly Sanders-Ron Cohen- Carla Galindo-Justyna Krolkiewicz-Jill Bullard- Renee Rayles- Bryan Rusty Newport- Shirley Tom Hansen- Farah Ogoh- Dana Clark McPherson- Fay Shabani- Kate Biddle- Elle Cat. 

Joined with Rusty Newport, managing Director of "33 Events", local community and business leaders in Buckhead put together one of the biggest fundraising events,  the best party, of the year.

Renee Rayles- Shirley Tom Hansen- Elle Cat- Justyna Krolkiewicz- Holly Yan- Jill Bullard- Kate Biddle- Bryan Rusty Newport- Fay Shabani- Carla Galindo- Kelly Sanders- Farah Ogoh- Toreya Shea, Merry Waldrop, Staff Photographer for Georgia Weekly Post.

Rusty Newport is the chairman of the event, co-chairing with Ron Cohen, a local businessman and a staff of several dozens event producers including Ron Cohen: Co-Chair, Mindy B. Miller and Shirley Tom Hansen, Volunteer Chair, Rachel M. Crane, Decor Chair, Thom Brown, Sponsor Chair, Paul Biagui, Media Chair, Dianna Moon Driscoll, Auction Chair, Molly Williams, Flapper Chair, Bobby Kelly and Stacey Weiss, Bert's Big Adventure Ambassadors. Newport, Weiss and Cohen are hoping the charitable contributions will make it possible for Bert's Big Adventure to succeed in helping and serving more kids and families.

Fay Shabani- Toreya Shea- Justyna Krolkiewicz- Farah Ogoh- Jill Bullard- Shirley Tom Hansen- Bryan Rusty Newport- Renne Rayles- Ell cat- Kelly Sanders- Kate Biddle- Carla Galindo. Merry Waldrop,  Staff Reporter and Photographer for Georgia Weekly Post.

"It's almost that time of year to join Atlanta's finest shieks and shebas as we transform the Buckhead Theatre into our own Tin Pan Alley and transport you back to the Roaring 20's on a spectacular night to benefit Bert's Big Adventure," said  Rusty Newport.

▲ Kate Biddle, Merry Waldrop,  Staff Photographer

Join us at the Buckhead Theatre for the 2nd Annual Great Gatsby Gala on Saturday, September 12th. 33 Events will transport you back to the Roaring 20’s on a spectacular night to benefit Bert’s Big Adventure.

▲ Co-chairman of the Buckhead event Ron Cohen, a local businessman, showing off his attire of the 20's.   Merry Waldrop,  Staff Photographer for Georgia Weekly Post. 

Party to the swinging tunes of the Peachtree Jazz Edition and revel in themed cocktails. Come dressed in your glamorous 1920’s attire and be ready to dance the night away. "Buckhead is having a big party," he told Georgia Weekly Post.

Carla Galindo, Bravoooooo.    Merry Waldrop,  Staff Photographer for Georgia Weekly Post

"We'll be hitting on all sixes as we dance the night away to the swinging tunes of the Peachtree Jazz Edition, reveling in themed cocktails and vittles, flashing some rubes for fantastic auction items, filling up our dance cards, and putting on the ritz with all the feisty flappers and drug store cowboys at the most intimate party of the season.  Dress in your favorite glam style and get ready to get a wiggle on, Saturday, September 12."

"I want all to know, the bar is open all night. Getting a hotel room next door is a good idea. Spend the weekend in Buckhead," said Ron Cohen.

Elle Cat and  Bryan Rusty Newport. Merry Waldrop, Photographer for Georgia Weekly Post.

Originally opened in 1931, The Buckhead Theatre sits at the gateway to one of the country’s most storied neighborhoods. Two years of painstaking restoration led the way for a grand reopening in 2010, as The Buckhead Theatre reopened its doors as Atlanta’s premier intimate theatrical venue. Embracing the deep musical heritage of Georgia and the Southeast, The Buckhead Theatre has been the site of sold-out shows of every musical genre, rock, country, hip hop alternative, including the 2nd Annual Great Gatsby Gala on Saturday, September 12th.

The Buckhead Theatre sits at the gateway to one of the country’s most storied neighborhoods. Two years of painstaking restoration led the way for a grand reopening in 2010, as The Buckhead Theatre reopened its doors as Atlanta’s premier intimate theatrical venue. Bravooooooooo.

Tiffany MacKendrick. "I am going. I am going. I am going!" she said. Tiffany is 25. She is an actress. She is single. She is a ten and half! She got those eyes..!! Bravooooooooo.

Central to Buckhead nightlife for more than 80 years, The Buckhead Theatre is steeped in the lively spirit of its history, yet fully modernized to accommodate today’s various forms of entertainment and special events.

Carla Galindo,  Thom Brown,  Elle Cat,  Kate Biddle,  Dana Clark McPherson,   

Merry Waldrop, Photographer of Georgia Weekly Post.

The restored Buckhead Theatre, Spanish-Baroque architecture of this classic movie house jewel is a seamless historical counterpoint to the updated state-of-the-art lighting and sound system, modern catering kitchen, event space, and other amenities.

Beyond the theatre’s 10-foot LED marquee, original Art Deco doorways lead from the lobby into the 8,000 square-foot main theatre and orchestra and loge spaces. 

Molly Williams, took off her modeling and legal hats and chaired The Flapper girls. Williams, a ten, is one of the sought after top models in the United States. She is showing off her flapper's looks.

Photo by Merry Waldrop,  staff reporter of Georgia Weekly Post.

The Buckhead Theatre’s revitalized interior plan increases flexibility for a variety of performances and events, including lectures, comedy, Broadway plays, concerts, and private and public events.

Sahar Arzoo is among those many attending  the Big Party at the Buckhead Theatre for the 2nd Annual Great Gatsby Gala on Saturday, September 12th.

Sahar is a president of her own charity, Make Over of Hope - MFH. She is a ten, she is not home grown, she comes from Afghanistan. She lost her family in the fogs of wars. She ran for her life and choose the land of the free as her adopted country.  "Just living in freedom, is a gift," she told Georgia Weekly Post. Sahar Arzoo is a feisty advocate for women and children. She grew up and excelled in North Dakota. She wasted no time, graduating from college and completing her graduate studies in Health and Hospital administration. Her friends enticed her to come to the warmer weather of Georgia where she lived for years in Midtown Atlanta.  She considers herself lucky.  "The people of the United States gave me too much and I must give back," she said. She volunteers wherever and whenever needed. She Started her own Charity to help. "Make over for Hope or you can say MFH,  it strives to help women, children, and men who have been victims of domestic abuse and or violence and help them reclaim their self confidence," she said, as she gets ready to join many of her friends at a social event. "It breaks my heart watching the turmoil in my birth country, Afghanistan," she added.  "I want to help the children. I was a child one day. I needed help too," she said with a smile. Bravoooooooo.

▲  Thom Brown,  Renee Rayles,  Bryan Rusty Newport, Shirley Tom Hansen,  Ron Cohen, Merry Waldrop, Photographer.  

Carla Galindo, Bryan Rusty Newport, Farah Ogoh. 

Rusty Newport is the chairman of the event.

Merry Waldrop, Photographer.

▲Sahar Arzoo, 26, single, she is five and half feet tall.  She visits regularly the fashion centers of the world including New York, Milan, Paris and London. Her friends say she has got a good eye and good taste. Miss. Arzoo is the president of her own charity. She comes from Afghanistan. "Just living in freedom, is a gift," she told Georgia Weekly Post. Completing her graduate studies in Health and Hospital administration opened many doors for her in the health field.  "The  very kind people of the United States gave me too much, they helped me a lot. I have many plans and many good ideas. I am smart. I want  to help the poor. I want to give mack, I must give back," she said. According to close friends, Sahar volunteers wherever and whenever needed. 

Sahar Arzoo is showing off her french dress. "I will go to that party. I want to help Bert Weiss, Ron Cohen and Rusty Newport. I will dress up. I just returned from Paris and my bags are still unpacked. This is the land of free choices. I will choose a daring dress. Like this one.  I am young and single. I am a party animal and yes I will have fun," she said with a smile. From Afghanistan with love.

Sahar Arzoo is under 30. She looks 23. GWP does not ask.

Her birthday is next week. Bravooooooooo

kimberly.halter@georgiaweeklypost.com 

Next News

Board Pagination ‹ Prev 1 Next ›
/ 1